Marijuana terpenes are essential oils giving marijuana strains distinct fragrances, flavours and are instrumental to the physiological and psychoactive effects of cannabis. There are thought to be about 200 terpenes that could be present in cannabis trichomes. Terpenes act on the brain’s receptors and neurotransmitters. They act as serotonin uptake inhibitors similar to anti-depressants. They enhance norepinephrine activity, increase dopamine activity and level out brain activity.
Key terpenes found in marijuana strains are:
- Myrcene aids mental energy, is an analgesic, sedative value.
- Pinene is cancer killing, memory enhancing.
- Terpinolene has anti cancer properties and fights insomnia.
- Terpineol a tumor killing terpene that fights cancer.
- Humulene is anti-bacterial, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory.
- Geraniol is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal.
- Eucalyptol is anti-Alzheimer’s, anti-asthma, anti-cancer, ant-oxidant.
- Caryophylene is anti-fungal, anti-coagulant.
- Limolene is anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, anti-cancer.
- Linalool is analgesic, anti-anxiety, sedative.
Learn in-depth details on cannabis terpenes from the Terpene Info.
When choosing a method of ingestion please be aware the beneficial qualities of terpenes can be seriously damaged if heated past their boiling point. It is best to try a ‘low-heat’ device such as a vaporizer pen or an adjustable eNail to extract the full benefit and flavor of your terpenes.
The Future of Marijuana Terpenes
Identifying marijuana by terpene content is easier to identify health benefits of one marijuana over another of the same name. Overall, terpenes contribute to a strain’s particular influence.
We can find the best strain for you.