Welcome to the marijuana genetic language definitions page. Read on to discover literature related to the marijuana world.
Hybrid is a term used to describe cannabis plant offspring. Produced by cross breeding two different ‘true-breeding’ parents. True-breeding pot plants will produce true to type if reproduced from their own seeds. So different generations will share similar characteristics. True-breeding strains are either:
(1) Pure-breeds: traditional landraces that have only interbred with similar strains. Therefor they have almost identical genes.
(2) Stabilized Hybrids: Hybrids that have been created by breeders. Then continually inbred until their characteristics are stabilized from generation to generation. F1 denotes that the seeds or plants have two true-breeding parents.
Marijuana Genetic Language Definitions Listings
Clonal propagation is where clones come from a single parent. This is the most popular way to produce exacting strains.
Feminized seeds guarantees every plant to be female through high tech genetic manipulation.
Autoflower seeds guarantees every plant to flower at a specific time, no matter the light cycle, temperature change, fertilizer change, etc.
Genotype is the genetic make up of a single cell usually with a specific characteristic in mind. It is the total combination of genes on the chromosomes.
Phenotype is any observable trait or objects of behaviour in a plant. It is the overall appearance of the plant.
Phenotype = genotype + environment lets us know the environment plays a pivotal role in plant characteristic outcome.
Hybrid vigor is the offspring being bigger and better than the original strains.
Landrace refers to a type of marijuana that has adapted to the environment of its geographic location.
Trichromes are the mushroom like balls you see on close up photographs of marijuana. Inside the heads of these trichromes is the THC and cannabinoids. There are three types as follows:
- Bulbous – the smallest bulbs, scattered about the surface of a leaf, calyx, stem, etc.
- Capitate Sessile – larger, more numerous than the bulbous, doesn’t appear to have a stalk until maturity.
- Capitate – Stalked – the largest most abundant gland, appear most on calyx, bract and small surrounding leaves.
A good resource for marijuana words is the Marijuana Dictionary. A good word dictionary and names of marijuana dictionary.